Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

God gives special kids to special people and other religious platitudes that don't help!

Look...I am a Christian but, some of those platitudes that you hear when you have a child with special needs don't really help.  I'm not angry at you for using them, I know your heart is in the right placeLet me tell you what I think about a couple of them.

 "God only gives special kids to special people." I am not anymore special than anyone else.  I know you think that I am some sort of super hero for dealing with my kid somedays but, the reality is that I am often tired, stressed out and on the verge of desperation.  On a good day, I have the sense to take that desperation to God.  On a bad day, I wallow in it and try to take a nap.  I try to keep away the guilt for not doing enough for my son and realize that God, though I don't understand Him sometimes, knows what He is doing. I "know" that God works out everything, good or bad, for my good. I wish I believed it every day.

"God doesn't give you more than you can handle."  Seriously?!? Look, I know it sounds great but, it isn't true. What I believe is that God doesn't give us more than we can handle with His help and His help is pretty powerful.  If you read the Bible, what we see are people constantly being put in situations that they can't handle.

"God is in control."  Ok, so I do need to hear this one but, I don't really think God gave my son autism.  Could God have chosen to prevent it? Yes but, I also think we live in a world of natural consequences and it rains on the just and unjust.  We have autism on one side of the family and auto immune problems on the other side.  That is likely the reason he has it.

No comments:

Post a Comment