Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

What Do You Do About Anxiety?

Do you remember being afraid of the dark as a kid?  It didn't matter that when the lights went on, there were no monsters in your room, as soon as those lights were out, the fear returned.

Many kids with Autism have problems with generalized anxiety.  I wish it was something that we could reason through with him.  You really cannot!  It doesn't matter if the fear is not reasonable, the feelings do not change.  It doesn't even matter if the person experiencing the fear knows the reasons that they need not be afraid, the feelings do not change.

We are experiencing a pretty extreme amount of separation anxiety in our home.  Our son cannot stand it when anyone leaves him.  At school he is hanging on me and has to be physically restrained when I leave so he doesn't follow me.  He calms down when I leave and enjoys school.  It is just the moment of separation that seems to terrify him.  He is in third grade so it isn't just like picking up a toddler.  I expect it will get better as the year progresses but, it is pretty stressful right now.

Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment