Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2013

How does it feel to have a violent kid?

You know, I don't know that I can really describe this one.  Do any of you have the words?

A lot of kiddos with Autism will act out in violence during a meltdown or even just when they are frustrated?  It doesn't happen all the time and I know parents who end up with way more bruises than I do but, it is still scary.  When my son was younger, it was easier to contain him.  Now that he is getting bigger, he can do more damage.

Sometimes, when he acts out, I get really frustrated and angry with him, even if he is not in control.  Mostly though, it scares me.  What am I going to do when he is a teenager if he still cannot control his behavior when he is frustrated or overwhelmed?  Will I end up in the hospital?  What scares me more, is will he do damage to someone else and end up in jail?

My son is actually a very tenderhearted kid, though you wouldn't know it when he is frustrated.  He normally feels pretty badly after he does something violent.  He hurt my shoulder the other day and then a few minutes later went to get me some ice from the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment